Discover more from Culturcidal by John Hawkins
The 30 Most Obnoxious Quotes of 2021
The worst of 2021
30) "I join others in being dismayed and disgusted by these women. I don't know how to reach non-college educated white women. The women I can connect with and influence are college educated white women. I am open to suggestions of ways of doing so ahead of 2022. Bring it!" -- Amy Siskind
29) "We are intent on not letting omicron disrupt work and school for the vaccinated. You’ve done the right thing, and we will get through this. For the unvaccinated, you’re looking at a winter of severe illness and death for yourselves, your families, and the hospitals you may soon overwhelm." -- Joe Biden
28) "No, I’m not going to sip and put my mask on, sip and put my mask on, sip and put my mask on, eat and put my mask on. While I’m eating and drinking, I’m going to keep my mask off... Like, we don’t need the fun police to come in and try and micromanage and tell us what we should or shouldn’t be doing. We know what we need to do to protect ourselves." -- San Francisco Mayor London Breed after getting caught breaking her own mask mandate.
27) "Words MATTER! Good to see Minnesota phasing out the use of “master bedroom” in real estate listings. Many associate it with slavery, a repetitive reminder of plantation life. Together, we can create more inclusive, aware communities!" -- Ben Crump
26) "January 6th was worse than 9/11." -- Matthew Dowd
25) "Well, they should be doing it by paying people low wages. We don’t want low-wage businesses. Most successful small businesses can pay a fair wage. If you look at the minimum wage, it increased with worker productivity until 1968, and that relationship was severed. If workers were actually getting paid for the value they were creating, it would be up to $23. I love small businesses, I’m all for it, but I don’t want small businesses that are underpaying employees. It’s fair for people to be making what they’re producing. I think $15 is very reasonable in this country." -- Representative Ro Khanna (D-CA)
24) "Everyone who died in the Holocaust chose to die in the Holocaust before they were ever born because they collective[ly] wanted to understand the experience of ultimate oppression." -- Karlyn Borysenko
23) "Finding it extremely hard to order Froyo from @TheBiggChillOfficial when you have to walk past tons of sugar-free cookies/other diet foods before you get to the counter." -- Demi Lovato on why she was incredibly upset that a yogurt shop had diet options.
22) "Thank you George Floyd for sacrificing your life for justice ... Because of you and because of thousands, millions of people around the world who came out for justice, your name will always be synonymous with justice." -- Nancy Pelosi
21) "I’m anorexic and in recovery. I’m not ashamed to say it out loud anymore. I’m the result of a culture that celebrates thinness and equates that to worth, but I get to write my own narrative now. I’m finally able to care for a body that I’ve punished my entire life and I am finally free." -- 300+ pound "super-model" Tess Holliday
20) "No one really wants this job, but millions of households may need their own Thanksgiving bouncer. The cover charge is a negative COVID test, done ahead of arrival or outside the front door." -- Margaret Talev, Tina Reed at Axios
19) "The troubled history of air-conditioning suggests not that we chuck it entirely but that we focus on public cooling, on public comfort, rather than individual cooling, on individual comfort. Ensuring that the most vulnerable among the planet’s human inhabitants can keep cool through better access to public cooling centers, shade-giving trees, safe green spaces, water infrastructure to cool, and smart design will not only enrich our cities overall, it will lower the temperature for everyone. It’s far more efficient this way." -- From "AC Feels Great, But It’s Terrible for the Planet. Here’s How to Fix That" in Time Magazine
18) "It’s time for cycling to think beyond white fragility, white privilege, implicit bias, and microaggressions, and begin to think about its root cause. Cycling must reject interventions that continue to individualize anti-Black racism, and work to break down the structures that allow whiteness to retain power in the sport." -- Khalil Saucier in an article called Cycling and the Power of White Privilege
17) "You can be mad but I guess I don’t personally view my car as an extension of myself and I’ve never really felt violated any of the 15 or so times my car was broken in to. Once a guy accidentally left a cool knife in my car so if it keeps happening you might get a little treat." -- Seth Rogen responding to someone talking about his car getting broken into in LA.
16) "The CVS on my corner has started locking up basic items like clothing detergent. As so many families can’t make ends meet right now, I can’t imagine thinking that the way to solve the problem of people stealing basic necessities out of desperation is to prosecute them." -- Cynthia Nixon
15) "Every day, Black birthing people and our babies die because our doctors don’t believe our pain. My children almost became a statistic. I almost became a statistic." -- Cori Bush
14) "(Mike Pence is) scared of this fictitious idea of Antifa, a thing that doesn’t even exist." -- Joy Behar
13) "What is the expiration date for cis white males?" -- Ellen Barkin
12) "Standardized testing is a pillar of systemic racism." -- Jamaal Bowman
11) "I am a no vote on the floor, on all non-diversity nominees. You know, I will vote for racial minorities and I will vote for LGBTQ. But anybody else I'm not voting for." -- Tammy Duckworth
10) "They're really criticizing science because I represent science. That's dangerous." -- Anthony Fauci
9) "You lose the right to self-defense when you're the one who brought the gun." -- Thomas Binger, prosecutor in the Kyle Rittenhouse case.
8) "Tired: Families
Wired: Affordable child care and universal paid leave." -- Kirsten Gillibrand
7) "Was the American Revolution such a good idea?" -- Adam Gopnik in the New Yorker
6) "Congress should increase the income tax rate on taxpayers who are unvaccinated, and who have no legitimate religious or medical reason to be unvaccinated, to 99 percent. This could be done through reconciliation." -- Ian Millhiser
5) "Actually the Boston Tea Party was done by left-wing radicals. They wanted to overthrow the establishment & right-wing at the time supported the monarchy. The Founding Fathers were in a sense the original #Antifa." -- Cenk Uygur
4) "I hate Christianity in general but I REALLY hate Catholicism so seeing those Canadian churches on fire makes me feel all fuzzy inside." -- Christine Sydelko
3) "I guess I would shoot the gun not necessarily at someone. Maybe shoot the gun and maybe run at the person and try to disarm them." -- Juan Williams on how he'd react if he were a police officer trying to stop someone from stabbing a victim.
2) "Policing in our country is inherently & intentionally racist... No more policing, incarceration, and militarization. It can't be reformed." -- Rashida Tlaib
1) "The likelihood there’s going to be the Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely." -- Joe Biden on Afghanistan